Free Ground Shipping on Orders Over $49
Family pride, a dedication to core values and a strong work ethic are the mainstays of Hobgood Construction, Inc., one of the premier custom homebuilders in the Palm Beaches.
David Hobgood, son of founder, Wilbur Hobgood, tells how this family-owned business has grown from roots to wings. And, wait until you see some of these wings!
Wilbur Hobgood started building homes one-at-a-time. As demand grew, Hobgood Construction, Inc. was launched. The company now includes a cohesive list of professionals and dedicated employees.
A Hobgood Timeline of Events
- Wilbur Hobgood began working in the field of home design and construction in 1990.
- Demand for new housing and custom-quality design provides the opportunity for Wilbur Hobgood to expand his construction business.
- Hobgood’s son, David, joins the company in 2005. After graduating from the University of Florida’s School of Agriculture with a degree in Food & Resource Economics, David attends Palm Beach Community College and receives his GC license. Carrying on his father’s strong work ethic, David now serves as Executive Management and General Superintendent of Hobgood Construction, Inc.
- Wilbur Hobgood’s son-in-law, Edward Naugle, joins the family business in 2012. Naugle brings with him a NAHB-certified Green Professional background. His memberships with LEED Green Association and the U.S. Green Building Council add to the list of Hobgood’s responsible building practices.
- Billy Pritchitt, a Vietnam War Veteran with over 40 years of experience in the construction industry, has been integral to the company for the past 20 years as Superintendent.
David Hobgood says of Pritchitt: “He is like a second dad to me.”
- Kelly Huffman has been a mainstay with the company as Senior Carpenter and Punch Crew leader.
- Wilbur Hobgood’s wife is the bookkeeper!
With a passion for bringing great design to life and a commitment to quality craftsmanship, Hobgood has been ensuring customer satisfaction, building the finest homes in Palm Beach and Martin counties—on time and on budget!
“Hobgood Styles” include: Tuscan Farmhouse, Timeless Mediterranean, Equestrian Estate, Coastal Cottage, Classic Bermuda, Waterfront Estate, Contemporary Villa and Commercial.
David Hobgood reveals his personal favorite: I like the “Key West” style home. I believe the design fits Florida landscape and atmosphere.
“I like the use of simple wood moldings to give the inside of the house character. Also, I believe outdoor living space (including patio’s, BBQ’s, fire pits and pools) is something that is important especially for entertaining friends and family.”
Adhering to an impressive list of core values: Integrity, Honesty, Respect, Client Service, Quality, Civic Responsibility, Safety, Team Work, Profitability and Sustainability, members of this family-owned business have established Hobgood Construction, Inc. as an award-winning company and one of the most outstanding builders in the luxury home construction business.
Awards include: Gold Coast Builder Association Prism Awards for Excellence in Luxury Home Construction. The prestigious Prism Award establishes Hobgood Construction as an elite builder of fine homes in Palm Beach County and all of South Florida.
What are some upcoming trends in your industry?
- David Hobgood sees more customer involvement today than ever before as customers have greater access to online resources such as HOUZZ.
The company gains new inspiration and design ideas from customers, but having so many options presents challenges, Hobgood says…
“They use the technology to guide their choices. In order “to keep construction on a timely and economically-based pace, it is important to harness decisions early.”
Hobgood is open to new ideas and trends:
“I love the challenge of working with designers and decorators to deliver their vision. Each customer, home project, architecture and interior design scope is unique. That’s what keeps our work interesting, challenging, fun and rewarding. “–David Hobgood
What challenges do you see in the home building industry?
David Hobgood sees one of the greatest challenges for home builders today is finding qualified skilled labor:
“I believe there is a growing need for skilled labor positions, and moving forward in the next few years I believe there will be a labor gap in the skilled trade positions. There is a lot of opportunity for individuals to learn a skilled trade and make a great future for themselves.”
How does the demand for Green home design and sustainability influence the future of home building?
“I see architects using more “green” building materials in the construction of the home and decorators using “green” or renewable resources in the finish of these homes. Green Building is definitely changing the industry as more products become available and more affordable.”
What is the best part about working in a family business?
” It’s cool to see all my Dad’s work completed, and how he has grown a business. I like his work ethic, and hope that he will be able to retire and my brother-in-law and I can continue his vision and make him proud.”
Along with providing homes for the people of South Florida, Hobgood is committed to many philanthropic and community-based organizations:
Charities and community organizations Hobgood supports include his Church and local youth organizations.
David Hobgood is most proud of their work with the Christ Fellowship “Gods Town” …
“We worked in conjunction with a design company and Christ Fellowship to create a section for the kids to learn and interact. It was awesome to see the final product and know how many kids would be able to enjoy these for years to come.”
Other causes supported by Hobgood include: Place of Hope, Hospice, American Heart Association, Hopegivers, K2 Kids, JTAA (Jupiter Tequesta Athletic Association), Urban Youth Impact, The King’s Academy, Jupiter Christian, WayFM, Maltz Theater, Seagull Industries, Muscular Dystrophy, St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital, and Habitat For Humanity ReStore (come out before tear down to take cabinets, appliances).
Membership includes: The Florida Atlantic Building Association (FABA). FABA is part of the Builders Association of South Florida (BASF).
Design Spotlights: Features appear in Florida Designer Home Magazine and Luxe Magazine.