Free Ground Shipping on Orders Over $49
National Boss Day was first proposed in 1958 by Patricia Bays Haroski, an employee at State Farm Insurance Company, who registered the holiday with the United States Chamber of Commerce. Haroski chose October 16th, her father’s birthday, as a day to express appreciation for bosses and promote good relationships between employees and supervisors.
Today, National Boss Day is celebrated in the United States and in other countries, including Australia, India, and South Africa.
In honor of National Boss Day, Capitol Lighting is offering promotional pricing home and office lighting. And, Capitol Lighting’s consultants will provide expert advice to help you design the most efficient and effective work environment with beautiful Hubbardton Forge lighting pieces.
Think about it: You spend a majority of your waking hours at the office; doesn’t it make sense to invest in a great lighting design to increase job satisfaction and productivity? More than creating a pleasant atmosphere, top quality office lighting will increase accuracy of performance, minimize fatigue and eye strain, and be both energy-efficient and environmentally friendly.
The key to great office lighting is to provide plentiful illumination, while eliminating glare and shadows.
Capitol Lighting Reveals the Glaring Truth and Offers Tips to Being the Boss of Your Office Lighting Environment
When designing office lighting, you must first understand the glaring truth.
- Glare is a visual phenomenon associated with excessive and uncontrolled brightness. The effects of glare range from being uncomfortable to being totally disabling.
- All types of glare occur as a result of vast discrepancies in illumination between that which is being viewed and an outside light source. Factors that affect the degree of glare are the angle between the task and the glare source and the ability of the individual to adapt.
- Individual sensitivity to glare can vary widely. Older people are usually more sensitive to glare due to the aging characteristics of the eye.
- Glare may be “direct” or “reflected”: Direct glare comes straight from the light source, whether it is artificial illumination or natural sunlight. Reflected glare comes through indirectly with illumination bouncing off surfaces such as computer screens, cabinets, and walls. Even glossy pages may be difficult to read due to reflective glare.
- Glare is often divided into two main types: “discomfort” and “disability.” Discomfort glare is bothersome and sometimes painful, but it does not significantly impair vision. On the other hand, disability glare significantly impairs vision. Thisglare causes a loss of visibility when stray light is scattered within the eye and a veil of luminance reduces contrast and blocks our ability to see the target at which we are looking.
- Glare that is so intense as to overpower and diminish vision may be defined as “dazzle.”
- Since the eye can only adapt to one light level at a time, a layered lighting design is the only way to provide for adjusting lighting applications throughout the course of the day to reduce glare and maintain pleasing illumination.
Capitol Lighting’s 5 Keys to Successful Office Lighting Illumination:
- All good lighting designs should include the three basic layers: task lighting, ambient or general lighting, and accent lighting.
- To reduce glare and eyestrain, evenly distributed ambient lighting may be provided with overhead ceiling fixtures, pendant lights and/or track lighting systems. Large centrally located fluorescent ceiling fixtures may provide sufficient general illumination, but invest in upgraded bulbs with color rendering as close to natural sunlight.
- The torchiere, because it directs light up to reflect off of the ceiling and fill a room with indirect light, is an excellent source for ambient illumination.
- Portable desk lamps and floor lamps allow you to move the light close to a task area. Angled and adjustable desk lamps aid in close reading and computer work. A swiveled armed desk lamp or wall swing lamp will help defray outside illumination, especially where varying degrees of illumination stream through windows. Use fluorescent or LED (light emitting diode) lamps for task lighting. Note: Know the laws of basic physics: The angle of incidence equals the angle of reflectance. Light directed toward computer screens at the wrong angle, will cause light to bounce back into your eyes and create glare. Adjusting the light source is the best way to keep the angle of reflectance from creating glare. Ideally the light should come from the side, because lighting that is installed directly in front or over your head tends to create glare and shadows.
- For accent light, stratefically located and adjustable LED lamps and eco-halogen recessed, rail or track lighting with good quality color rendering will provide superb illumination.Upgrading your office lighting is one of the easiest ways to instantly promote a more positive work experience. Consult with the lighting professionals at Capitol Lighting to get the job done right. Make this commitment to excellence and everyone will be in a position to excel.
Light Up the Boss with Capitol Illumination!
“By working faithfully eight hours a day you may eventually get to be the boss and work twelve hours a day. – Robert Frost
October 16th is National Boss Day, and Capitol Lighting would like to celebrate the best working relationships with promotional pricing on the latest illuminations. Show your appreciation and shower your boss with the latest lighting innovations and decorative accessories to add style and sophistication to the workplace.
Enjoy excellent promotional values on famous designer lighting and accessories, including new concepts from Hubbardton Forge lighting:
-The “After Hours” collection: Employing energy-efficient fluorescent illumination, these sconces, wall lights, and mini pendants are available in a choice of finishes with opal or stone glass.
-The “Current” collection: Simplistic, yet stunningly captivating, this 4-light single tier chandelier is available in 6 different finishes and 4 glass options.
-The “Metamorphic” collection: Adjustable base table lamps available in 5 finishes. Complete and customize your design with a variety of outstanding shade options.
-The “Reflections” collection: Wall sconces available in many finish and glass options to provide beautifying accent illumination.
-The “Rook” collection: Mirrors, floor lamps and table lamps in a variety of finishes including black, natural iron, burnished steel and mahogany. Lamps are Energy Smart to provide the most energy-efficient illumination.
-The “Taper” collection-Traditional torchiere lamp bases in choice finishes. Uniquely designed glass shades are available in an array of colors including topaz, blue haze and amber art.
-The “Down Willow” collection: Rustic desk and floor lamps featuring a naturally clean design in choice finishes. Elegant shade options include textures and colors in doeskin, white linen, tea crinkle, black parchment and sage.
Often overlooked and underestimated in its power, superior office lighting creates an optimal work environment. Visit a Capitol Lighting showroom to view the latest innovations for home and office. Surprise your boss with outstanding illumination. Desk lamps, floor lamps and mirrors are on sale now, and office lighting experts at Capitol will help custom design the perfect gift!